[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 18 03:45:54 CEST 2006

> * Absolutely OT: I recently received from a colleague a CD of
> experimental data (for comparison with my proposed theory). Most of
> them were ASCII files containing single-column lists of numbers, with
> no documentation at all. After some search, I finally realized the
> explanation could only be found by reading the -- uncommented --
> MATLAB scripts used to manipulate the experimental data.

I dare say part of the problem here is that the commands for reading
ASCII file data in earlier versions of MATLAB were very poorly written,
and would only work if the *entire* file contained nothing but numbers,
even if you were only reading part of the file.  This has improved in
more recent MATLAB versions.  That doesn't excuse your colleague for
failing to document the contents in a separate file though!

Tony M.