[OS X TeX] TCOBrowser

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Sep 18 03:26:00 CEST 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 17:59, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 9/17/06, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2006, at 01:50, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>
>> > I never gave TCOBrowser a serious try. Now I tried. I looked for a
>> > package pgf
>> > TCOBrowser returned Date 11/04/04 (which is one year older than the
>> > current one)
>> > 11/04/04) and in the local tree (not user tree) which is v.1.01
>> > 11/16/05)
>> >
>> > Rather strange
>>
>> This is a date returned by the TeX Catalogue Online (I think it's the
>> date pgf was added to the catalogue or its entry was modified).  If
>> you update the catalogue it will show an incorrect date, since the
>> xml
>> entry for PGF has RCS tags embedded in its datestamp (should show
>> 2006/04/25).
>
> The current version is v.1.01 11/16/05 but CTAN seems to be confused
> since pgf resides on sourceforge

CTAN != TeX Catalogue Online (TCO).  TCOBrowser itself has an entry in
the TCO, but it's also hosted on SourceForge.  As I said, the "Date"
column isn't the current version of a package, it's the date it was
added to the TCO.

>> Your local pgf version/date has nothing to do with TCOBrowser.
>
> Then what is the meaning of "Local Doc"? While I definitely can access
> them by texdoc and texdoctk it would be nice to have the similar
> functionality in TCOBrowser

This is covered in the ReadMe file available from the Help menu.  If
you have pgf installed, TCOBrowser looks in your TeX tree(s) for a
file named pgf.[dvi|ps|pdf] using Spotlight on 10.4 or /usr/bin/find
on 10.3.  If it finds such a file, it's added to the "Local Doc"
column for that package.  This is the best heuristic I could come up
with; improvements are welcome.

Adam