[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 02:42:59 CEST 2006

Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 16:43, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>>> Prudent, perhaps, but not typical; Apple's Installer makes large
>>> changes to the data on your computer every time you install a
>>> software update, for instance (anyone remember that broken iTunes
>>> update fiasco?). MacTeX has the same black-box limitations. As far
>>> as that goes, any installer program does, which is why I prefer
>>> drag-and-drop installation.
>>

>> Apple also suggests this as a first method. But what most drag-and-
>> drop installs do is also install some configuration program which is
>> then being called the first time you try to run the program. Think
>> Microsoft Office, for instance.
>

> Good point! It doesn't even require a separate config program, either;
> I happen to know that if you remove ~/Library/Application
> Support/BibDesk, BibDesk will automatically recreate that directory at
> next launch without asking your permission. I think the obvious lesson
> is that sneaky developers lull you into a false sense of security with
> drag-and-drop :).

I am completely amazed that anyone could seriously discuss that just
about /anything/ one does with one's computer might interfere with one's
computer with potentially disastrous consequences .

However, and at the absolute worst, all what such inteference can do is
to make some application mangle one's document something seriously
horrible but then, backup # n, backup # n+1 should be an absolute
"normal prudent computer management". And, should the horror occur, one
gets a fresh copy of the application … or another application
altogether. Which is what one would do if, say, one'e computer were to
fall overboard into the sea. Backup, Backup.

Regards
--schremmer