[OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sun Sep 17 10:39:03 CEST 2006

Am 17.09.2006 um 03:39 schrieb Robert Spence:

> On 16 Sep 2006, at 09:21 , Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> And finally, where can one find information about these issues --
>> other than the most arduous chapters of the TeXbook, I mean.
>
> 1)
> In section 2.2.6 of
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/general/l2tabuen.pdf
> (or in the original German:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/general/l2tabu.pdf)
> there's a summary of when and where (and partly why) one should or
> should not use which of the various ways of inputting German
> umlauts and other non-ASCII characters, viz.: {\"u}; \"u or \"{u};
> "u; and finally ü.
>
> If I interpret Alex Hamann's needs correctly (on the basis of his
> exchanges German text with people more used to WYSIWYG approaches
> to word processing, and thus only the fourth of these ways of
> inputting will ever be used (unless he needs to define new LaTeX
> macros at some stage or do global things in document preambles), so
> therefore he'll always need to explicitly call the inputenc package
> when working with an 8-bit version of TeX.

That´s correct.
Thanks everybody for the detailed answers and suggestions. However,
could anybody tell me why turning of the autocompetion would be kind
of an overkill (see Luis Sequeira´s posting? What negative
consequences will that have?

Alex

> 2)
> Pages 327 thru 331 of The LaTeX Companion (2nd edition) contain a
> brief but useful overview of the basics of input and output
> encodings, which would probably be adequate for Alex's purposes.  I
> don't know offhand where to look for more in-depth information.

Looks like I will not be able to postpone the acquisition of the
Companion any longer...