[OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 14 11:50:18 CEST 2006

Le 14 sept. 06 à 11:08, Alex Hamann a écrit :

> 1. Encoding:
> when choosing a given way of encoding my tex documents can that
> make calling the inputenc package obsolet?
> to be precise: can I not call the inputenc package when encoding a
> german document with isolatin?

No, you must call it (with option [latin1] in your case). Otherwise
LaTeX won't know what to do with your non-ASCII input. See, for ISO
Latin 1, the file /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/
latin1.def which tells LaTeX, when calling inputenc, how to interpret
your non-ASCII input.

An alternative is to switch to XeTeX, which expects UTF-8 input
natively: you just have to select UTF-8 encoding in TeXShop, and
XeTeX will process your input text directly without needing any
dedicated LaTeX package to do so.

> 2. i noticed that iTexMac and Aquamacs display the German Umlaute
> correctly in the editor window. TexShop seems to insist in
> converting them directly in the Tex commands (\"u, etc.) - no
> matter how the document is encoded. Is there a way to teach TexShop
> the other behaviour?

I think this behaviour is activated by the option Preferences >
Document > Editor > Automatic Completion. Uncheck it, you're done.

Bruno Voisin