[OS X TeX] Simple(?) MacTeX question

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Mon Sep 11 20:58:15 CEST 2006

> On 9/11/06, Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
> >  If these terms mean nothing to you, you probably do not need the
> > too <ImageMagick>l, except for the following scenario:
> >
> > You have a TIFF file, but pdfTeX does not support TIFF anymore
> > since 2004 (TIFF is not well defined I have been told and the
> > support has been dropped). You want to include the TIFF file in
> > your .tex document. You can go to the command line ans say "convert
> > foo.tiff foo.png" and the convert tool will convert foo.tiff from
> > TIFF to PNG format and write foo.png, which can be included as
> > image in .tex documents.
> >

> htlatex uses ImageMagick to convert .eps to .png (htlatex generates
> webpages from .tex sources, representing usually equations as .png
> images. So it is smart to have IM installed as well.

htlatex?  Is this something I need to know about?

> There are some LaTeX packages using external programs (f.e. pgf can
> call GNUplot); so LaTeX package calling IM is not unimaginable either.

Hmm.  It seems that I've got a lot to learn.  I don't know about any of
this stuff.  It'll have to wait until I've got MacTeX working.

> On 9/10/06, Rowland McDonnell <rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net> wrote:
>

> > Also: I don't seem able to get TeXShop 2.09d to print a dvi file.
> > Double-clicking (for example) tb1401.dvi (part of the Babel
> > documentation) gives me a pdf version of the dvi file, but the
> > `Print' command doesn't do a thing when I try it.  MacOS X 10.4.7,
> > quad G5. (printing does generally work on that Mac in question).
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas what I might try?
>
> Copy dvi files to some directory you can write [without using
> administrative power] and then open via TeXShop. You will be able to
> see other differences too: like saving will be enabled. I *cannot*
> explain why TeXShop behaves differently opening .dvi files located in
> the directories where one cannot write but this is a fact.

It works as you describe.  Playing around with this and that leads me to
blame the host OS for the odd behaviour.

Rowland.