[OS X TeX] Simple(?) MacTeX question

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Sep 11 12:02:02 CEST 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 05:01, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got MacTeX installed, and I'm trying to find out what exactly I've
> got installed.
>
> I see I've got these things installed:
>
> ImageMagick
> fontforge
> libwmf
> freetype
>
> Could some kind person explain briefly what these things are used for
> with MacTeX?  I've tried to find some documentation which explains, but
> I've drawn a blank.

ImageMagick is a very popular suite of command line tools to convert
graphic formats. On the command line there are manual pages for these
tools. "man ImageMagick" will give you a short overview. One of the
most often used commands is "convert". "man convert" will give you its
manual page. ImageMagick  has a web site: http://www.imagemagick.org.
There also is a Wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagemagick. I know next to nothing of
ImageMagick, just that I can use the convert utility to do all sorts of
bitmap image conversions and translations (formats, scaling, cropping,
etc.). If these terms mean nothing to you, you probably do not need the
tool, except for the following scenario:

You have a TIFF file, but pdfTeX does not support TIFF anymore since
2004 (TIFF is not well defined I have been told and the support has
been dropped). You want to include the TIFF file in your .tex document.
You can go to the command line ans say "convert foo.tiff foo.png" and
the convert tool will convert foo.tiff from TIFF to PNG format and
write foo.png, which can be included as image in .tex documents.

FontForge (the binary is called "fontforge") is a font manipulation
tool for unix-like systems. It can work command line withg its own
programming language and it can work screen oriented within the X11
windowing environment. It can also be used to convert fonts, e.g. to
convert Type1 fonts to truetype fonts. There is a Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FontForge.

libwmf is a support library for Windows MetaFile operations and some
other programs are linked dynamically against this library, which means
that it needs to be installed for those other programs to work. Think
of it as part of the functionality of a binary living in another file
(the dynamic or 'shared' library). I think ImageMagick used to be
linked dynamically but it hasn't been for a while because there are
problems with ImageMagick and libwmf support. Newer releases of
ImageMagick may again come with WMF support via libwmf so it is smart
to have it installed.

freetype is likewise a dynamic or shared library of (in this case) font
functions fo OpenType fonts. Other programs need this to be installed,
e.g. ImageMagick.

I would start reading Wikipedia. I do not know all the specifics
myself, I just repackage them for easy installation.