[OS X TeX] Searching in TeXniscope

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Sep 10 23:29:19 CEST 2006

Le 10 sept. 06 à 22:56, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> You can find this in Preview. It shouldn't be too difficult to
> write a script that first converts DVI to PDF and then invokes
> Preview, to let you search and copy.

????

TeXniscope does already perform DVI to PDF conversion, for which it
uses an embedded version of dvipdfm. Furthermore, if you were to
invoke Preview to perform a search, then why use TeXniscope in the
first place?

I think what Morten speaks about is, as TeXShop does, to use the
search facilities offered by PDFKit to perform search and extraction
on the PDF files used internally by TeXniscope, and all this from
within and inside TeXniscope.

As Morten, I consider TeXniscope a pretty good DVI viewer, superior
to TeXShop's previewer in some respects (for example you can split a
PDF view in several pieces, so that you can view several parts of a
PDF document simultaneously -- very useful for re-reading or editing
a document), and I regret that its development has halted.

Moreover, with XeTeX now offering the ability to use xdvipfmx, an
extension of dvipdfmx, as an alternative viewer for its XDV or
extended DVI format, in addition to the already existing viewer
xdv2pdf, then TeXniscope would offer the potential to be extended for
using xdvipdfmx instead of dvipfm, and hence to become a viewer of
choice for XeTeX output, for those who would prefer not to use an
integrated environment à la TeXShop.

Bruno