[OS X TeX]

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 9 02:54:10 CEST 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Paul Fontana wrote:

> OK, here are excerpts from the files:
> TeXShop (i-installer?) version:
> <-- snip -->
> [1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
> pdftex.map}]</usr
> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb> </
> Users/fontan
> ap/Library/texmf/fonts/pk/modeless/adobe/kaufmann/pkur8r.600pk></
> usr/local/teTe
> X/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
> <-- snip -->

Howdy,

This is using a bitmap font.

> Terminal (Fink?) version:
> <-- snip -->
> [1{/Users/fontanap/.texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]</
> sw/share/texm
> f-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>{/sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/
> enc/dvips/p
> snfss/8r.enc}</Users/fontanap/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/
> kaufmann/pkur8a.p
> fb></sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
> <-- snip -->

This is using the type 1 postscript font. It is no wonder that it
looks better when running from the command line. the idea is to get
TeXShop to use the Fink version because that is where the type 1 font
map got installed.

> So one is using fonts/pk/modeless/adobe/kaufmann/pkur8r.600pk, and
> the other is using fonts/type1/adobe/kaufmann/pkur8a.pfb.  What's
> the difference?  (As I said, I can't see any difference at the
> printer -- only in TeXShop or Preview.).  I guess the two versions
> of pdftex.map must be different for some reason, probably due to
> the convoluted process of installing the font.

See above.

> As for selecting one engine or the other, since I like the type1
> rendering better I have changed my configuration settings to:
> (pdf)TeX:  /sw/bin/  (was:  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
> darwin-current)
> TeX + dvips + distiller:
> Tex program:  altpdftex  (was:  simpdf tex --maxpfb *or*  /usr/
> local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/simpdf tex --maxpfb)
> Latex program:  aldpdflatex  (was:  simpdf latex --maxpfb  *or*  /
> usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/simpdf latex --
> maxpfb)

Type 1 will be better than bitmap (at least on the display).

> because these look the best on the screen.  As for anything more
> complete, considering my limited skills I think I'm willing to
> allow peaceful coexistence.  I'm afraid to change the configuration
> now that everything is working.  Someday when I have a few days
> with nothing better to do maybe I will take a chance and opt for
> surgery.  (The margins seem to be a little different when I run
> nfssfont -- hopefully they will be OK when I process my old files
> with the new setup!)
>
> Thanks, Peter and Herbert, for all your help on this one!  I have
> certainly learned a great deal in the process.
> -- pwf

I still think some work has to be done!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)