[OS X TeX] MANPATH, MANPATH_MAP and i-Packages

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Sep 8 15:56:58 CEST 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 15:45, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2006, at 5:45 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> I think this issue has already been raised, but I'm not quite sure
>> what the answer/solution was.
>>

> Yes, this came up a little over a month ago. There should be some
> discussion in the archives.
>
>> Problem is, the other i-Packages put their executables inside
>> /usr/local/bin and their man pages inside /usr/local/man, not
>> /usr/local/share/man as expected by man.conf. Hence, the man pages
>> are not found. I realized this when trying "man tiff2ps", where
>> /usr/local/bin/tiff2ps and /usr/local/man/man1/tiff2ps.1 had indeed
>> been installed by the libtiff i-Package (aka TIFF Reference Library).
>
> In my view, these installers are broken. The default configuration of
> Mac OS X is to map /usr/local/bin -> /usr/local/share/man, and
> installers should respect this. So the "real" fix is to fix the
> installers.

It is not so much the installer that is broken, but the fac tthat
theinstallers ships software in its default distribution setup. For
much of the software, the default is /usr/local/bin + /usr/local/man

Changing that would mean i-Package maintainers (like me) have to do all
kind of non-default stuff while compiling/setting up. Feel free to
volunteer ;-)

Note: Apple ships this /usr/local/share/man setting now, but different
settings heve been available in the past. Apple ships an empty
/usr/local and probably is not interested at all what is happening
inside.

> I think the choice of /usr/local/share/man over /usr/local/man is to
> keep the structure of /usr/local parallel to /usr. There is no
> /usr/man, all the man pages for /usr/bin are in /usr/share/man.
>
>> What would be the best solution:
>>
>> - Comment out the offending line
>>
>>> MANPATH_MAP	/usr/local/bin		/usr/local/share/man
>>
>> in man.conf, so that the default association of /usr/local/bin and
>> /usr/local/man is restored.
>
> This will lead to the same problem if you later install something that
> puts its man pages in /usr/local/share/man, so it doesn't seem like a
> good solution.
>

>> - Or create a symlink /usr/local/share/man to /usr/local/man.
>
> After some googling, I came across this page:
> <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALSHARE1>, which
> seems to support the symlink solution. There's also this gnu page:
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-
> Variables.html>, which talks about the standard location of many
> things in the / hierarchy under unix (at least in the gnu view!).
>

>> Any thoughts?
>
> When I came up against this, I just moved everything from
> /usr/local/man to /usr/local/share/man. Obviously, this is a fragile
> solution, you have to repeat it if you install some more man pages in
> /usr/local/man.

Unless you make the symlink.

Hmm, I wonder if I should follow that route.