[OS X TeX]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Sep 8 11:17:12 CEST 2006

Am 08.09.2006 um 01:21 schrieb Paul Fontana:

> Do these look like the right places for dvips to look?

No. But this must not matter. The important thing is that the real
MAP files

	dvipdfm.map	for dvipdfm, dvipdfmx, XeTeX' xdvipdfmx
	psfonts.map	for dvips (and XeTeX to map CM fonts to CM-Super names?)
	pdftex.map	for pdftex

need to be found. And since updmap does not update them they must be
static files, most probably symbolic links that point to files updmap
creates. This is reported in:

> updmap: Map file links:
> psfonts.map -> psfonts_t1.map
> pdftex.map -> pdftex_dl14.map
> dvipdfm.map -> dvipdfm_dl14.map

(The kind of file the MAP files point to depends whether you decided
to always download the PS fonts or whether you prefer Karl Berry or
another TeX naming scheme for some PS fonts.) To check that this is
set up right do on the command line:

	kpsewhich psfonts.map

and the file reported should then point to one of the files updmap
had created (ls -l <that file name> should reveal this.) A one liner
could be:

	ls -l `kpsewhich psfonts.map`

The grep (command) I mentioned would be:

	grep pku `kpsewhich psfonts.map`

> Does the map fragment look OK?

Yes, it does. It can't look worse since it was created by fontinst!

>> What is 'kpsewhich pkur8a.pfb' returning? The path name to the
>> font file? Then all is OK ...
>
> $ kpsewhich pkur8a.pfb
> /Users/fontanap/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/kaufmann/pkur8a.pfb
>
> Looks right to me, assuming the .pfb file is OK.

The PS font file is found! Whether it's correct or not cannot be said
from this. This will be revealed later.

The problem left is why dvips could not find the psfonts.map file. In
the teTeX tree some files with the name "temxf.cnf" can exist that
define or refine a few search paths and other things, that started as
environment variables for UNIX shells. Dvips understands names like
TEXPSHEADERS, TEXFONTMAPS, TEXFONTMAPS.dvips, TEXCONFIG.

First step would to find out whether psfonts.map is found by
kpsewhich (and if kpsewhich succeeds, then dvips should also) and
whether this psfonts.map file is a symbolic link and points to /Users/
fontanap/.texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map. If not,
you have the cause for dvips' failure. The correction would be to
update the psfonts.map link.

If all is OK until now, you'd need to check the texmf.cnf files.
There can be many methods used:

	locate texmf.cnf			– but only when locate.db exists!
	find /sw -type f -name texmf.cnf -ls
	dpkg-deb -c /sw/fink/debs/tetex<some spec>.deb | grep texmf.cnf

Probably the file /sw/texmf.cnf will be found. Then invoke (if some
file name starts with ./sw/ then remove the leading ``.´´)

	egrep 'TEX(PSHEADERS|FONTMAPS|CONFIG)' <the texmf.cnf file(s) found>
	egrep -w '^(TEXMF|HOMETEXMF|TEXMFLOCAL|$TEXMFMAIN)' <the texmf.cnf
file(s) found>

Among this output the directory containing the file psfonts.map
should be defined ... Some list members can interpret the output!

My piece of shell scripting should best be packed into an executable
file that starts with the magic line

	#!/bin/csh

and then simply invoked as ./<script name>.csh.

It can be run in a csh or tcsh interactively. It produces overviews
of the font's glyph contents in tables. With some reference you can
see whether your font misses glyphs or uses wrong ones in some
places, whether accents are placed correctly, how text in that font
would look like ... You can try on the command line '(pdf)latex
nfssfont' and will guide you.

(The *.t1a is not necessary in the script's rm line. These files are
generated when TTF is converted to PS Type 1 by a certain programme.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)