OT: publishers accepting .tex files (was Re: Exceedingly OT - Re: [OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Sep 5 15:17:28 CEST 2006

On 05.09.2006, at 13:29, William Adams wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>> I guess my question is: has anybody had any problems with
>> publishers not accepting tex-processed files? I am a little afraid
>> of writing my thesis with Tex and then discovering that the word-
>> lovers have taken over even the publishers....
>
> This varies by publisher. It's rare for a publisher to turn down a
> manuscript they really want though, and worst case is they have the
> entire book re-keyed in Word to produce in Quark XPress, alternately
> they may take the .tex files, dump them into Word, have a technical
> copy editor whack at them, then typeset from that.

Just wanted to post my (very fresh) experience here: I'm the first at
our institute (film studies that is) who wrote his thesis in LaTeX.
Exchange with my professor wasn't a problem, I just send her PDFs
which she printed and commented (since she would do this on paper
anyway, it didn't matter what I used).

I was a bit afraid when it came to publication. All thesis at our
institute are published in the same series which has sort of a
corporate design layout. Normally people would send Word files to the
publisher who would put them in their system (no idea what they use).
It soon turned out that they couldn't handle tex files. So I asked
whether they could handle a PDF if I could get the layout right.
Thanks to komascript and the fact they only use Palantino and
Frutiger, I was able to re-construct the complete layout. So what
we'll end up is me doing the complete book and just send them a PDF.
Although it means more work for me it also means lower publication
costs, and above diligence, since I'm sure I care much more about the
layout of my book than anyone else ever will.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson