[OS X TeX] Color Display and Match in Preview

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 17:56:55 CET 2006

Morning,

I have a question about the color display and match in Preview (and
therefore not really a (La)TeX question.)

I generated a legend of a color bar using Mathematica. That color bar
consists of roughly 40 colors, aiming to show the maximum and minimum
value of an accompanying figure. The color bar was saved in .eps
format, and inserted with other figures and compiled within TeXShop.

When the generated PDF was viewed within TeXShop (calling preview), or
within Preview directly, on the screen of my laptop, there were tens
of tiny white gaps between each color of the color bar. Zooming in
didn't help. When viewed in Adobe Reader on the same laptop, however,
there were no these artifacts. The color bar was also printed
perfectly. I have tried to generated different color bars with
different numbers of colors but all of them had the same behavior.
When the same file was compiled on PC and viewed using Yap dvi viewer
or Adobe Reader, the white gaps were either minimized or not showing.

In addition, on Preview, the color of the the legend and the color of
the accompanying figure do NOT match! When using other
programs/platform, however, the colors perfectly matched as they
should be. The color bar and the accompanying figure were generated
together at the same time from Mathematica.

This is a minor annoyance, but would be nice if there's a way to make
it go away.

Thanks.

JT