[OS X TeX] TeXLive tree

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Oct 29 10:02:24 CET 2006

On 28 Oct 2006, at 23:07 , Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Tying to look at the xu-... hyphenation patterns, I discovered that
> the TeXLive i-package actually installs a new tree structure. I
> should have noticed it while installing the the package: it is in
> the readme file.
>
> I have two questions though:
>
> -- When the old teTeX based system disappears, will there be a way
> to automagically transfer stuff one has installed in /usr/local/
> teTeX/share/texmf.local into the ``new'' /usr/local/TeXLive/
> texmf.local? I mean something other than command line trickery.
> Would it be possible, when the i-package is ripe enough, to add
> such a migration feature?

No. The complexity of this is beyond automatic systems. Think or
instance that hyphenation file names have changed, the set of
available languages have changed and how you would automate going
from one set to the other. I have looked into this and if it would
have been possible I would have done this as it is easiest for the
user. But it turned out to be impossible. Hence the new i-Package and
location.

If someone writes such a script, though, I'd be happy to include it
and run it during configuration.

> -- How does one (temporarily) add the teTeX texmf.local to the
> texmf trees searched by the new TeXLive setup? I understand this
> would be a potentially dangerous thing to do and that it would
> break at every update of the TeXLive i-package. Still, I could that
> way use the stuff in teTeX's texmf.local tree without copying it.

In terms of the stuff installed with other i-Packages, these will be
updated asap and there will be a feature selecting between multiple
install locations of which the TeXLive version is texmf.pkgs and not
texmf.local as in the old TeX setup  (making a future migration
easier). If time permits (possibly not) a migration feature for the
TeX Support i-Packages could be made, moving those from old to new.

In terms of settings and such (hyphenation, map, etc) see above

In terms of stuff you have installed by hand, you'll have to move it
by hand.

Please do *not* use the old texmf.local tree in the new setup. If you
have specific needs or requests, contact me off list and I can advise
or offer automatic support.