Installation sites? (Was Re: [OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 24 22:12:56 CEST 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 17:58, Joshua Smith wrote:

> Gerben,
>
> This leads to a follow up question of when/how are LaTeX packages
> updated in i-Packages?  For example, the default lineno package
> installed is version 4.1 from January 2005 but the current one
> available from TUG is 4.41 from November 2005.  Or, the nomencl
> package installed is from November 2001 (according to the
> documentation I pulled up using texdoc) but the current one available
> from TUG is from September 2005.

The current texmf trees are based on teTeX which is from January 2005.
teTeX is no lonoger maintained and this has become official since
somewhere this year.

I am currently working on providing an i-Package that is not based on
teTeX (for the main texmf tree) anymore but on TeX Live. This requires
a substantial bit of work and it should be ready before I have to talk
about it during TUG2006 in Marrakech ;-)