[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 23:42:18 CEST 2006

Hi Themis, Claus, and others,

On 24/10/2006, at 1:42 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> I didn't know that \atop is a command of amsmath, but googling
>> reveiled it immediately,

Well, actually it is *not* an  amsmath  command,
nor even one recommended for use with LaTeX.
When I Google'd for it, this is what I found at:

        http://www.ams.org/tex/amsmath-faq.html

\over and friends are primitive TeX commands whose unusual syntax is
out of place in a LaTeX document. Using them at surface level in a
document also makes it very difficult to achieve certain kinds of
typesetting improvements that would otherwise be possible.

So yes, it is useable (at least when TeX is the underlying
translation engine),
but is not encouraged for documents claiming to be written in LaTeX.

So, like newspapers, don't believe everything you find via Google.

>> though I assume that you knew it from the start. Hitting then  the
>> icon of the amsmath pdf documentation which is stored handily in
>> the side bar of my Finder windows, I got the description in
>> another five seconds; total search time 10 seconds.
>>
>> This example reveils that your request is neither reasonable nor
>> necessary.

In a world where there is plenty of only partially correct information
just lying around, having a definitive resource that is at your
finger-tips
and fully trustworthy is not an unreasonable request, IMHO.

>> Claus
>>

> I google it too, that's how I found it. But what if fate had me
> thrown in a deserted island with no internet connection, just my
> laptop and and an unlimited supply of solar power? I've resolved
> that if I ever find myself in such likely situation, I'll write a
> book with everything I know, for the benefit of future generations.
> I'd hate to have that plan fail because I forgot the syntax of
> \atop... :-)

Take a copy of Knuth's  The TeXbook  with you on that trip.
You'll have plenty of time to read it.   :-)

Also, you won't need access to missing packages, as then you will have
learnt what's needed to be able to write them for yourself.    :-)

> Themis

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au