[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Mon Oct 23 09:45:53 CEST 2006

Le 22 oct. 06 à 16:24, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> - Someone has to do it.

Something of the sort already exists within TCOBrowser (look at the
miktex preference tab)
> - AFAIK MikTeX uses its own distribution and doesn't take its
> packages directly from CTAN or TL. This means that MikTeX is often
> slower in adapting updates.

Indeed. However, the ease of use given by (the gui version of) mpm
(the MikTeX package manager, also available in beta cli form for OSX
--- very usable) largely offsets the fact that  miktex lags behind CTAN.

> - Since LaTeX is used by the geekier computer users, this is a
> problem. Some people (like me) always want to be up to date, others
> (like Rowland) want to configure the last bit of their systems and
> so. Of course, this is no reason, not to do this, but it may
> explain, why there isn't too much effort here.

Yes, but I know a few colleagues working on the 'doze side who only
went to TeX because of MikTeX's ease of use.  Without its package
manager, MikTeX is just another distribution...

> IMO, the best (= most user friendly) solution would be a MikTeX-
> like package manager, integrated into i-installer which directly
> draws its packages from CTAN. This is probably not doable
> currently, since CTAN knows nothing about the dependencies of its
> packages, but IMO it's certainly something desirable. Of course, we
> always end up with point 1: Someone actually has to do it.

Why not expand TCOBrowser to include mpm or a way to communicate with
it ? Most of the work has already been done. What is left is the
actual communication bit. I.e. showing whether a package has been
installed and giving the option to upgrade/install it. One tricky bit
would be to initialize the system to know which packages have been
installed by i-installer/mactex in what version...

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)