[OS X TeX] Best place to put updated Babel?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Oct 16 23:10:56 CEST 2006

On Monday, October 16, 2006, at 01:22PM, Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>A quick question for Adam Maxwell: I assume that to find the local
>documentation, TCOBrowser uses texdoc behind the scenes, or at least
>requires a full TDS compliant system. Is that correct? Or does it
>just search through the whole tree?

Short answer: no, it doesn't use texdoc, and TDS compliance isn't required.

Longer answer: TCOBrowser looks in two user-defined locations (e.g. ~/Library/texmf and /usr/local/teTeX) for .dvi, PostScript, and PDF files using Spotlight.  It matches TeX Catalogue Online package names by comparing the filename after removing extension (so for the "babel" package it would match /one/ of babel.pdf, babel.ps, or babel.dvi, if they exist).  However, if the package is named "babel" and the doc is named "babeldocs.pdf," TCOBrowser won't find it locally.

Docs (local and remote) show up as file icons in the table, and you double-click to open them.

-- Adam