[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 21:02:30 CEST 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:39:51 +0200, Herbert Schulz
<herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> I know we have users of Alpha and Aquamacs here so I certainly won't
> comment in detail. I do know that Aquamacs is the most ``Mac like'' of
> the emacs-en available. It comes with AucTeX built-in so has some very
> powerful ``knowledge'' about LaTeX. You can use TeXniscope and TeXShop
> (and, I believe iTeXMac too) as an external viewer that automatically
> updates when the pdf updates.
>
> I guess I'm thrown by the lisp-like and obscure (to me) programming
> needed to customize Aquamacs.

Customization in recent versions of Aquamacs is done without using Lisp at
the user level. Following the press-buttons interface I managed to change
the previewer to use TeXniscope for both dvi and pdf files.

There are a few reasons why I use Aquamacs:

1) Very good support for dtx writing. I can reflow the commented text with
a single keystroke.

2) The line wrapping has caused me problems from time to time. In short,
I've often seen ^^M characters in a file saved by TeXShop. If you look in
the changes.txt files coming with the LaTeX distribution, you'll see some
of them survived into the distro at one point before I caught them!

3) Smart code indentation - can't live without it.

All of these points are probably only valid for people writing lots of
code in <whatever>TeX but hey, that's what I do... :-)
--
Morten