[OS X TeX] MacTeX and LaTeX package documentation

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Oct 15 12:20:35 CEST 2006

I must confess that until I read this:

>> Well, yes, I tried that, but I must say that:
>>
>> Babel: Multilingual support for LaTeX
>> The author is Johannes Brahms
>>
>> doesn't look like user documentation to me.
>>

> Sorry, I should have added that, once the TeX Catalogue Online
> relevant page is displayed, you have to click the symbol
> representing a pdf file to get the documentation.

I used to behave as stupidly as Rowland McDonnell. I thought the pdf
icon meant: "You can get a pdf by searching in CTAN", and I didn't
bother to try to understand the other icons. The idea that I could
click on them did not occur to me. So I used the word menu on top on
the page, clicking on "search"

As a 20-year Mac user, I can add that seeing a small drawing does not
mean for me that I can or I have to click on it. The context must say
in some way that clicking is available, and may be the right thing to
do (look at the top of your MacOS Mail window). And even when I know
that the small drawing is an icon, I cannot always easily guess what
it means. This one of the reasons I am more at ease with TeX than
with Microsoft Word.

André Bellaïche

P.S. Before clicking on them, now I know this is possible, I can
guess the meaning of 3 icons, on the 8 displayed on the Texdoc/CTAN
page. Maybe 5, if icons number 3 and 4 both mean package.