[OS X TeX] MacTeX and LaTeX package documentation

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Oct 14 08:38:04 CEST 2006

On 14.10.2006, at 05:40, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

>>> Well, yes, I tried that, but I must say that:
>>>
>>> Babel: Multilingual support for LaTeX
>>> The author is Johannes Brahms
>>>
>>> doesn't look like user documentation to me.
>>
>> Sorry, I should have added that, once the TeX Catalogue Online
>> relevant page is displayed, you have to click the symbol representing
>> a pdf file to get the documentation.
>
> Thank you - I did get that information eventually.
>
> It's not at all obvious what those pictures are there for.  It didn't
> occur to me that they could have any function at all.  They don't look
> like functional elements to me: they look like decoration.  I
> certainly
> didn't see them as having any *meaning*.  I looked for words and
> links,
> and couldn't see any words that would help me or links that would take
> me anywhere.

It's hard to believe that you've never seen a PDF icon before or that
you meaning of a folder icon has been hidden to you until now. After,
you're using a Mac, don't you?

> Argh!  It's *awful*, it really is.  So much gratuitous pain, which
> could
> be so easily avoided by just putting the words on the Web page in the
> sensible fashion, but oh no, we've got to have `pretty pictures'.
> Pfft.
> Well, pretty pictures don't mean a thing.

It's called graphical user interface, it was made popular by some
kind of fruit company some years ago.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the last
resort for dictators." Francis Ford Coppola