LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Musa Furber musaf_spamtrap at runbox.com
Fri Oct 13 21:34:47 CEST 2006

On 13 Oct 2006, at 20:39, Paul Smyth wrote:

> Unfortunately, we don't all have a month to spend just figuring out
> how to do something as basic as set the margins on a document. TeX
> is great, I love it and use it daily, but it is frustrating and
> time consuming having to go hunting for information every time you
> need to do something new. Surely improving that situation would
> benefit everyone.

The "Not So Short Introduction", the memoir manual, and online
resources were good enough for me to get to work in a matter of days.
Not needing maths certainly reduced the learning curve, but I don't
see how anyone could need a full month.

There are times when I wish there were more example memoir page and
chapter styles. Perhaps a repository for document templates would be
useful...or an analogue to the ConTeX garden.

Regards,
Musa