[OS X TeX] MacTeX and LaTeX package documentation

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Oct 13 13:22:47 CEST 2006

> Le 13-oct.-06 à 04:40, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :
>
> > I've recently installed MacTeX, and I thought I'd take a look at the
> > current documentation for Babel.
> >
> > The thing is, the documentation does not appear to have been
> > included with MacTeX:
> >
> > Hattie:teTeX rowland$ sudo find / -name "babel.*"
> > Password:
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/tex4ht/babel.4ht
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
> > babel.html
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/babel.def
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
> >
> > Is this as it's supposed to be?  If so, what's the approved method
> > of getting the documentation?
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/generic/babel/user.dvi

Ah!  Yes.  Odd - I could have sworn that I did a search for `babel' over
the entire disc, but I missed that someone.  Cheers!

> Generally speaking, for documentation one has to look in the "doc"
> folder of the texmf trees (mainly texmf.tetex, and texmf.gwtex for
> some additional packages).

That makes sense - I thought that I had.  I must be losing my marbles.

> You also may use the "texdoc" command. "texdoc babel", in the
> Terminal, opens the "TeX Catalogue online"'s section for Babel's
> documentation.

Well, yes, I tried that, but I must say that:

Babel: Multilingual support for LaTeX
The author is Johannes Brahms

doesn't look like user documentation to me.

Thanks,
Rowland.