[OS X TeX] Re: LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was 1/2" margins)

Google Kreme gkreme at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:01:58 CEST 2006

On 12 Oct 2006, at 21:43 , Bill Rowe wrote:
> It already exists. One need not learn to use every LaTeX command
> and every package to start using LaTeX and get good results. I
> suspect a lot of people do precisely what i have done. Learn to use
> a few commands and packages to achieve what they need and ignore
> the rest. That in effect, is a "LaTeX light". And the beauty is it
> is fully LaTeX compatible and can always be added to as the need
> arises.

I have 2 or 3 templates that are setup for various tasks.  One for
letters, one for school papers/reports, a slight alternate for the
latter<1>.  And that's it.

I drop the text into the template, "compile" and turn in/email the
pdf.  Very rarely I print off the pdf, stick it in an envelope, and
snail mail that.

I've been meaning to setup a letterhead template, but I haven't
gotten around to figuring out how to put graphics into a LaTeX file yet.

<1> Both of these include things like highlighted and working URLs,
footnote/biblio support, etc.

When I need to do something beyond these, then I'll dive back in to
my archives of the list and see what I can figure out.

--
"Send beer, words simply can't adequately express your gratitude"  -
James Sedgwick