[OS X TeX] MacTeX and LaTeX package documentation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 08:57:22 CEST 2006

Le 13 oct. 06 à 07:00, Franck Pastor a écrit :

> Le 13-oct.-06 à 04:40, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :
>
>> I've recently installed MacTeX, and I thought I'd take a look at the
>> current documentation for Babel.
>>
>> The thing is, the documentation does not appear to have been included
>> with MacTeX:
>>
>> Hattie:teTeX rowland$ sudo find / -name "babel.*"
>> Password:
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/tex4ht/babel.4ht
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
>> babel.html
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/babel.def
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
>>
>> Is this as it's supposed to be?  If so, what's the approved method of
>> getting the documentation?
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/generic/babel/user.dvi
>
> Generally speaking, for documentation one has to look in the "doc"
> folder of the texmf trees (mainly texmf.tetex, and texmf.gwtex for
> some additional packages).
>
> You also may use the "texdoc" command. "texdoc babel", in the
> Terminal, opens the "TeX Catalogue online"'s section for Babel's
> documentation.

This documentation user.dvi, which is the one included in teTeX and
hence in gwTeX, is the lightweight version. In my opinion it is quite
insufficient when one wants to understand and use the specific
switches for any particular language --- in my case French.

For this, the full documentation babel.pdf is required, and at
present you have to get it from CTAN, for example at:

<ftp://ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/babel/
babel.pdf>

I hope the situation will change at some point in the future, and
babel.pdf will indeed be included. The problem here, I guess, is that
teTeX chose not to include it, and given the development of teTeX has
stopped nothing will be able to change until the TeXLive-based
replacement for teTeX, upon which Gerben is currently working, will
be effective.

Bruno Voisin