LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:12:05 CEST 2006

I am not sure that answering two posts at once is the proper thing to do
but my intentions are pure: They overlap and I don't want to glut the list.

Spiegel wrote

    It's a big misconception that Word is easy learn […]

Ivrii wrote:
Unfortunately it is not completely true.

I agree with both: most people—of whom I was—hardly use more than, say,
10% of the capabilities of MS Word. That 10% is the easy part. And it is
when you start trying to beyond that the woes start.

So then, again, why not a "LaTeX light"—and I mean a markup one as there
is no obvious incompatibility?

However, as I wrote in response to Adams, this has nothing to do with
what I intended to say in the first place but, by mentioning Word, I
asked for it.

Regards
--schremmer