[OS X TeX] Questions about a clean? install

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 10 18:54:21 CEST 2006

Le 9 oct. 06 à 10:33, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Coming late to this thread: even when the CM-Super fonts are
> installed, files are generated inside /private/var/tmp/texfonts/.
> This is because LaTeX needs certain TFM files, either because the
> document you're typesetting uses them, or because these are
> required when compiling the LaTeX format. And the only way to
> create them is to run METAFont on the appropriate .mf source files.

Thinking a bit more, there is also another directory where TeX
creates and stores font files without letting the user know. I don't
think that's what the original poster had in mind, though, as: (i)
the directory is not normally hidden, it's only at a place (/Library/
Caches) where normal people rarely dwell; and (ii) the directory only
appears when XeTeX is installed.

This directory is /Library/Caches/Type1-sfnt-fonts. XeTeX stores
there OpenType versions of PostScript fonts the user may have in FFIL/
LWFN Mac OS Classic format, and it's these versions that XeTeX uses
when typesetting with the fonts. For example, I have the CM/PS, AMS/
PS, MathTime and Lucida fonts that I got from Blue Sky Research years
ago, all in FFIL/LWFN format in /Library/Fonts. XeTeX uses them
through the OpenType versions that it has created transparently on-
the-fly in /Library/Caches/Type1-sfnt-fonts, every time a new font
was called for the first time upon typesetting a given document.

I'm mentioning this for completeness only, I don't think the creation
of these OpenType conversions can be harmless in any way.

Bruno Voisin