[OS X TeX] Questions about a clean? install

McGarry Vince vmcgarry at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 7 15:05:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I just installed a fresh version of TeX using the i-Installer, a
godsend (thanks, Gerben). I installed this new tree because something
peculiar had happened to my old installation that I couldn't
understand, but that I think goes back to the changes with updmap.

Since I'm the only user of this computer, I store my few additions,
the Lucida fonts, more recent pstricks files, my own sty files, and a
few other sty files, in /teTeX/share/texmf.local and use updmap as I
add fonts and always update the index whenever I make changes to the
files.

I dragged /teTeX/share/texmf.local then deleted teTeX and
reinstalled. I had not thinned any of the prior installation.

I selected no personal configuration and the old behavior for updmap,
etc. I ran an old Plain TeX file using Computer Modern fonts, only,
which proceeded to create the directory /private/var/tmp/texfonts/ in
which it installed some files.

I then added my personal files and LaTeXed a document using only
Lucida fonts (confirmed by looking at the document properties for
embedded fonts in Reader) and once again some files were added to /
private/var/tmp/texfonts/.

What are these? And in a properly operating system should these be
created?

Vince McGarry