[OS X TeX] pdf the size of printed text?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 00:51:23 CEST 2006

Hi David, Maarten, and others.

On 02/10/2006, at 4:41 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 2-okt-2006, at 4:51, david craig wrote:
>

>> How do I persuade pdftex to produce output that is just as large
>> as the are covered by the text and no larger, in the way that
>> LaTeXiT does when you drag TeX'd output out of its output window??
>
> See http://mactextoolbox.sourceforge.net/articles/baseline.html for
> various methods.

All these methods work, but are way more complicated than necessary.
  pdfTeX can do it directly.

See the PDF examples at:
    http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/WARMhome/node5.html

These are multipage PDFs containing at least one page that
is sized to fit the content.

The examples also have a link to download the (La)TeX source.
There's about 10 lines of TeX coding towards the end
that does the \shipout of a box with the correct size and
contents.

Here are the relevant bits:

\newbox\shipoutbox

\setbox\shipoutbox=\hbox{%
   ... your LaTeX material ...
   ... properly sized and boxed ...
}

\setbox0=\vbox{\kern-1truein
    \hbox{\kern-1truein
     \framebox{\box\shipoutbox }%
     \kern1 truein}%
    \kern1truein}%
\dimen0\ht0 \advance\dimen0\dp0
\pdfpageheight\dimen0
\pdfpagewidth\wd0
\shipout\box0

That's it.
You can put as many of these into a document as you like.
Then you can use \includegraphics[page=<num>]{....}
to extract the pages as separate PDF images,
for use within other LaTeX documents.

> Maarten

Hope this helps,

	Ross