[OS X TeX] TeXShop crashes

Tobias Sebastian Kuhn tosebk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 17:04:22 CET 2006

Am 30.11.2006 um 11:11 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
> Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x72757461

probably the most common crash with tiger...

crawling reveals that this may have to do with a corrupt font.
i have an ibook g4/powerpc and (nearly) the same crashes once in a
while, with different applications (Apple as well as non-Apple apps
or during compilation but never TeXShop).

however, it is potentially helpful, if you give more information
about what you did prior to the crash.

i think that this does NOT have something to do with fonts because i
had these crashes before transferring older fonts or installing new
ones - i only had the standard fonts.

or Apple really has a problem:

i've seen these crashes with tiger way too often - from 10.4.3 thru
10.4.8, with two different RAM-modules.
let me tell you the story:
a week after finishing my thesis (ethnomusicology) with TeXShop i had
a few kernel panics and i made a clean-sweep-system-reinstallation to
build everything up from scratch.
until the kernel panics occurred again so i thought: well, one more
reinstallation. during that 2nd reinstallation i had another kernel
panic (!) but still needed to backup some new documents so after
finishing that i brought it to gravis (apple service and retail in
germany). i had no guarantee and they needed two weeks to find
NOTHING, so they replaced a RAM-module and installed 10.4.6 but said:
no charge (!!!).

my guess is that they got a directive from Apple to do this in
general - in order not to loose customers...

so, in the end, i still have these crashes, as lots of other people,
even on "new world machines" as i see now. i think the managers are
giving HELL to the technicians...

best wishes and cross your fingers that they find the problem...

T.

@Gary:
i see you have lots of crashes. you can try to verify your fonts with
Font Book.app, maybe you have a corrupt font. i did it on my machine
and there was not a single warning, Schriftsammlung (localized name)
told me it is safe to use all the fonts...