[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Thu Nov 30 07:57:50 CET 2006

Recently, I rescued a lot of books published in the second half of
the 80's by the publishing house I work at. They were in 5.25"
floppies, all in TeX (not LaTeX, though).

All of them typeset perfectly, and can be printed exactly as they
were printed 20 years ago, but of course with the much better
resolution of today printers ---and better yet: with direct-to-plate
technology.

(My main purpose is to ask the authors to update their books, but the
better resolution will be a nice byproduct.)

Can anyone say the same of 20 years old Word documents? Or of a real
typesetting application, like Quark?

All of you are authors, researchers ---make your work for the future
as well.

On Nov 29, 2006, at 14:59, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Really, in comparison with doing serious mathematics, learning
> LaTeX is a tiny triviality.

Right. My mathematics hardly go beyond simple arithmetic, and I've
been able to learn LaTeX.

Best,

Axel