[OS X TeX] local vs. global symlink

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Wed Nov 29 06:51:42 CET 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 18:39, Jack Kuipers wrote:
>
>> Please, tell me there will "always" be a version of Mac OS X
>> TeXShop that one (even I) can install --- if, or when, issued, or
>> acquiring a new up-to-date Mac.  Most of us older folk are
>> "falling away" but until then, --- Are there any comforting words
>> out there for WE, the recalcitrant few?
>
> Remember that TeXShop sets its path in TeXShop --> Preferences...
> Engine tab. This thread is mainly about the command line interface.

Well it is partly for other front-ends as well, let's not forget
there are a number of different editors that people can use to write
their LaTeX in. In TextMate's LaTeX bundle, we'd rather not have to
force the user to tell us what their preference is. They have already
stated their preference by setting the command line interface one way
or another, and the editor should (IMHO) be smart enough to pick up
that preference (and of course the user can overwrite that setting in
the editor, in case the editor turned out to be not as smart as it
thought it was). It should just work: They have MacTeX, they have
TextMate, they should be able to compile, no customizations
necessary, unless they want to. This is where, from my point of view,
this discussion is important.

But in any case, all these are really not the user's concern at all
at this point. So to all users out there, don't pay too much
attention to all this, yet. The dust will settle, just wait a bit.
Same goes for hurrying to TeXLive. There is really no reason to leave
Gerben's installer and/or tetex yet. As I understand it, the only
thing changing is that you can't just email Gerben with questions
about problems with your TeX install, or rather you could, but you
shouldn't expect a reply. Your TeX installation won't suddenly go in
flames the moment Gerben ends his support.

So as long as your TeX installation works just fine, there is
absolutely no reason to mess with it. (Unless I suppose you are the
kind of person who immediately sells their car the moment a newer
model comes out).

> Best,
>
> Axel

Haris