[OS X TeX] local vs. global symlink

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Nov 29 01:59:21 CET 2006

Le 29 nov. 06 à 01:39, Jack Kuipers a écrit :

> Please, tell me there will "always" be a version of Mac OS X
> TeXShop that one (even I) can install --- if, or when, issued, or
> acquiring a new up-to-date Mac.  Most of us older folk are "falling
> away" but until then, --- Are there any comforting words out there
> for WE, the recalcitrant few?

I do not think you should pay attention to the current discussions.
These are the kind of discussions that normally occur on a developer
list, while the OS X TeX list had so far been rather a user list.
This is probably the kind of discussion that occurred between Dick
Koch, Gerben Wierda, Jérôme Laurens and a few others before TeXShop
was released and this list created, and the kind of discussion that
has occurred since on the MacTeX list (leading ultimately to creation
of the MacTeX package).

What's confusing is that generally a software system has several
dedicated mailing lists, such as a developer one, a bug report one, a
user one, and so forth. For example, the DarwinPorts all-purpose
mailing list has recently been fragmented into several such dedicated
lists during the DarwinPorts to MacPorts transition.

But in any case: the present discussion is irrelevant for most users,
please don't pay attention to it. As some point the dust will settle,
people will come back to their senses, and something useful will,
hopefully, ultimately come out of the current competing approaches.

That's what I hope, at least. (But I still hope, too, that OS X
Textures will eventually be released, so maybe that doesn't mean much!)

Bruno Voisin