[OS X TeX] Re: Remarks on the /usr/bin/texprograms symlink

Arno Kruse arnokruse at macnews.de
Sun Nov 26 12:50:14 CET 2006

Am 26.11.2006 um 11:53 schrieb Claus Gerhardt:

> Let me try to answer your question.

Thank vou, Claus. Your detailed answer offers an overview helpful at
less for me, although I am not able to estimate advantages and
disadvantages concerning Unix problems - I must trust what experts
say and write.

<snip>

> The future certainly belongs to TeXLive (TUG) and MacTeX's
> installation of it for the Macintosh.

As Gerben does not continue his extensive work - Gerben, like so many
other users I am grateful and shall miss your encouragement -, this
may be true; it will be quite impersonal. I shall not like it.

<snip>

> Now to the path setting part.

<snip>

I feel overcharged to estimate.

> As my  personal opinion, with all due respect to Gerben's role and
> achievements for TeX on Mac, I don't understand why, after his
> departure, and given the new situation that there will be several
> TeX distributions on a typical Mac, we should refuse to use the
> best method for path setting only because of compatibility issues
> with his i-Installer which will only install old tex distributions
> and no new ones anymore.

This sounds reasonably. But I am uncertain.

> This is the present situation. The normal user can relax,
<snip>

Maybe that is the best advice at the moment - wait and see. But I am
not happy with this.

My personal conclusion: Luckily I have an external harddisk, so I can
backup my complete installation and try out without risks. But the
situation is dissatisfying.

Arno