[OS X TeX] Re:TeXSwitcher

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Nov 26 01:13:27 CET 2006

To check if any of Richard Koch's claims are correct, I just used his
TeX_Switcher to switch my tex source to Gerben's teTeX.

(1) Checking the active tex source yielded that it was indeed teTeX.

(2) The system wide path in /private/etc/profile (for simplicity I
only refer to the bash shell) was identical to the system wide path
that i-Installer and TeX_Switcher set for teTeX.

## Do not remove the next line
## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Mon May  9 01:55:00 CEST
2005
## TeX modifications start at Sun Nov 26 00:46:00 CET 2006
## Do not remove the previous line
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current"
   export PATH
fi
## Do not remove the next line
## TeX modifications end at Sun Nov 26 00:46:00 CET 2006

(3) I installed the local profiles, that I recommended, myself and
their dominant tex path is

/usr/local/texprograms

which points exactly to

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current

Indeed opening a new bash shell and issuing the command

texdoc index

opened a dvi file (as kind of pdf) in TeXShop from Gerben's old
distribution. Issuing the command when TeXLive (TUG) is active will
open a correct pdf file in Preview.

Hence, my local settings would in principle override the system wide
path, but since they are set to
/usr/local/texprograms
they are identical with the system wide path. Thus, not only  is the
path setting by TeX_Switcher not effected by TeXSwitcher's symlink
and also not by the overriding local files (which by the way user's
who will never use the command line won't need to install), but the
new system wide path is also identical with the path defined by the
local settings.

It works the same way as in TeXShop, when the tex path is set to
texprograms: if the systemwide tex path is identical with the tex
path defined by the symlink, then any user who has followed my
recommendation with the local profile files has inherited the system
wide path.

Thus none of Richard Koch's claims are valid.

Claus