[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X TeX] hyperref strikes … showidx

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Nov 25 14:52:18 CET 2006

Alain,

I think you got it a bit mixed up. Showidx is helpful, when the
author is editing his book, e.g. deciding, if he has to define an
index entry or not, because its already defined.

A reader uses the index, if he wants to find a specific reference by
looking it up in the index. Hyperef can then be very helpful, since
it will offer a link from the particular entry in the index to its
actual occurrence in text. I like this behaviour very much.

Thus my recommendation would be to use hyperref and not showidx.

Claus