[OS X TeX] Problem compiling with XeLaTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Nov 23 11:59:41 CET 2006

Am 23.11.2006 um 06:19 schrieb S P Suresh:

> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
> fmtutil: format directory `/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/web2c' is
> not writable.
> I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

The directory that contains the FMT files is owned by "root" and you
mortal user have no access to it. There might have been some problem
during installation (it's always to prepare and save a "report" after
having done the installation or configuration only). To (re-)create
the formats try on the command line:

	sudo -H fmtutil-sys --missing

The utility can also create particular FMT files à la '--enablefmt
xetex' or '--byfmt xelatex' – but I have to answer this by heart, due
to a file system problem my Mac is not usable, so the last examples
can be inexact. This *is* exact: 'fmtutil --help' gives some
pointers! (Fmtutil-sys is kind of a wrapper around fmtutil, allowing
to install FMTs for the whole system.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
opposite.