[OS X TeX] tex on multiuser systems

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 21 23:14:43 CET 2006

On 21-nov-2006, at 2:18, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> On multiuser systems it might be better not to set the the path to
> tex system wide, but rather locally for each user. Then each user
> could decide which tex version, if there are several, he would want.
>
> Even on a single user system a system wide setting is neither
> necessary nor desirable.

I disagree. Troubleshooting becomes a black art if things happen to
work for one user, but not for the other. If a user wants to override
the recommended install, he or she can prepend the PATH with the
desired texlive version. Frankly, I find the desire to have multiple
parallel texlive version somewhat amusing, but hardly something that
many users will want.

Maarten