[OS X TeX] eqn. numbering when using array

Markus S youcontrol at hispeed.ch
Tue Nov 21 16:19:05 CET 2006

Hi,

I am trying to add some text and brackets to a standard eqnarray
set-up. What I have come up with works almost, apart from a slightly
too small line spacing, I could not figure out how to have separate
equation numbers for both equations. I have also tried the amsmath
package with the command aligned but here again two labels for the two
equations do not seem to be possible.

Here is what gets the closest to what I want to do:

\begin{equation}
\begin{array}{c}
\mathrm{one} \\
\mathrm{two}
\end{array}
\left\{
\begin{array}{lrll}
\mathrm{three:} & \displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} +5 A & = & 0 \\
\mathrm{four:} & \displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt}  + 6 B  & = & 0
\end{array}
\right.
\end{equation}

Cheers,