[OS X TeX] Two updates

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 20 16:53:44 CET 2006

Le 20 nov. 06 à 16:13, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Maybe a solution would be that the TeXLive-based TeX i-Package
> looks for any previous install of XeTeX inside texmf.local and, if
> so, removes it first. I'm thinking of:
>
> texmf.local/doc/generic/ifxetex/
> texmf.local/doc/latex/xkeyval/
> texmf.local/doc/xelatex/
> texmf.local/doc/xetex/
> texmf.local/fonts/misc/xetex/
> texmf.local/scripts/xetex/
> texmf.local/source/xelatex/
> texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/
> texmf.local/tex/generic/ifxetex/
> texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/
> texmf.local/tex/xelatex/
> texmf.local/tex/xetex/
> texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
>
> Of course, one should first check whether all these pieces (in
> particular /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/unicode-
> letters.tex) are indeed present inside texmf.texlive. I'm too short
> of time to do this right now.

Finally it turns out some pieces inside texmf.local are more recent
than those from texmf.texlive (like Will Robertson's fontspec,
ifxetex and xltxtra), while others look older (like hyphenation files
and xetex.pool).

I guess I see this because I must have installed XeTeX from source
using the SVN tarball, which includes more recent versions of some
elements than in TeXLive.

I feel a bit unsure about what should be done, and about the
compatibility between XeTeX as an add-on (as it was with teTeX) and
built-in XeTeX (as it is in TeXLive). For example, do the hyphenation
files in /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/tex/generic/xu-hyphen/
fully replace those in /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/tex/generic/
hyphen/? Will the presence of the latter perturb the operation of
XeTeX when installed with TeXLive?

Fortunately I don't need XeTeX this week, so that this will wait.