[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Mon Nov 20 15:21:09 CET 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 3:13 AM, Louis Talman wrote:

> I think that it's very interesting that Claus didn't get it right
> on the first try.  (Nor is this a criticism of Claus; we all make
> mistakes like the ones he made.)

It is however evidence for the value of a well-designed installer
system like i-Installer (thanks again, Gerben!). Software
installation is hard, because it has to accommodate the almost
infinite variability of local setups. A good installer can check for
the invariants it expects before doing anything irreversible. A set
of natural language instructions does that rarely, if ever. What
makes natural language easier and more concise for people --
vagueness, reliance on a shared background -- is exactly what makes
it inappropriate as a medium for communicating configuration
instructions.

-- F