[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:24:08 CET 2006

Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Er … I am not exactly rushing and, in fact, I am still on 10.3.9 :- [
>> (I am that scared but I don't want to be more than one system  behind
>> and with Leopard looming on the horizon …).
>>
>> So, would you say that moving to 10.4 and Wierda's TeXLive is
>> probably OK since I am not using any fancy package, no special font
>> and all my graphics are via includegraphics{pdf}?
>

> Alain,
>
> I don't see why you should worry about updating.

Well, /this/ "install-challenged" person can see why :-)

> I never rush to  update (OS, TeX) until I hear from other people that
> things are  stable enough and even though I cross my fingers when I
> update,  I  never had an unrecoverable experience as a result.

Neither have I but I have had a lot of unrecoverable lost time.

> I am now in  10.4.8 and the other day I i-installed TeXlive with no
> difficulty at  all.

I feel inexorably pushed towards a major upgrade.

> If you don't use the mathime fonts,

I don't.

> TeXLive should work just  like TeTeX. Bruno mentioned some missing
> files from the TeXLive  installation but I don't know what
> functionality may be impaired as a  result. Still, switching between
> TeXLive and TeTeX is easy, even for  naive users such as myself, so
> you can always go back to the TeTeX if  you experience some unexpected
> behavior.

I had missed that. In other words, I should:

    move to 10.4.8
    i-install everything with TeTeX
    Make sure everything works
    i-install everything again but with TeXLive so as to be future-ready

This feels like going into major surgery with everybody's reassurance
that "it will be allright, don't worry".

Grateful regards
--schremmer