[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Nov 19 00:36:29 CET 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 00:08 , Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> The new tex installation would still succeed though, but the
> structure would be really awkward, because the tex folder "2005"
> would be contained in the TeXLive folder of Gerben's distribution.
> It is really unfortunate that Gerben appropriated the name texlive
> for his distribution, not respecting the default path of the
> TeXLive (TUG).

Actually, I was under the impression that TL installed somewhere else
(I think it used to be /usr/texlive or /usr/TeX even) and I did not
check the latest installs. And I am a case-sensitive guy.

But rest assured, I will migrate my i-Packages to something else,
probably /usr/local/gwTeX. However, this is not simple, as I need to
consider not only new installs, but also updates and uninstalls.

If you move /usr/local/TeXLive to /usr/local/gwTeX and you install
TeX Live full in /usr/local/texlive, one important thing to also do
is to set your Install location of the TeX i-Package that is based on
teX Live to the new gwTeX location. Otherwise, uninstall of the i-
Package will potentially uninstall TeX Live.

BTW, appropriating could also have been seen as honouring the actual
source (as I did with /usr/local/teTeX)