[OS X TeX] installing from TeXLive

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 18 00:16:04 CET 2006

> Yes -- and note that some folks do use traditional unix filesystems on
> their Macs, esp in environments where they have to rsync with non-Mac
> unix machines that might have files and dirs that differ only in case.
>  Is there any reason why Apple clobbered case-sensitivity?  From my
> largely uneducated perspective, it doesn't seem to have been a good
> choice.

The Apple UI engineers long ago judged that their user base would find
the existence of files in the same directory, whose names differed only
by case, at best bizarre and at worst confusing.  It's also good
practice not to use case alone to distinguish files since there's no
inherent semantics one can infer from it.

In any case, we now have a 'Case Sensitive HFS+' option we can use if a
case-sensitive filesystem is needed.  It's no longer UFS or nothing,
thankfully.

Tony M.