[OS X TeX] TeXshop

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Nov 17 11:23:47 CET 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 01:32 , Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Assuming that straight texlive will be the future default, two
> additional buttons in the preferences which those using Gerben's
> distributions can click seems to be easiest way.

If I were Dick, I would make a plist with known locations and put it
in the Resources of TeXShop. This plist has a version number. When
the selected version is not in TeXShop's preferences, the user would
get a panel with a list of detected TeX's and asked which one to use
(e.g. /usr/local/teTeX, /usr/local/TeXLive, /usr/local/texlive2005,
each with a explanation, something like:

/usr/local/texlive2005 - TeX Live 2005 install from DVD or image
/usr/local/TeXLive - gwTeX based on TeX Live
/usr/local/teTeX - gwTeX based on teTeX and TeX Live (deprecated)
/sw/usr/tetex - teTeX via Fink (outdated)

where those that are not on the system are grayed out. The user
selects one of these and these get written (together with the plist
version) in TeXShop's preferences. When Dick hears of a new TeX (say /
usr/local/texliv2006 or /Applications/Textures.app/Contents/Resources/
TeX) he can change the plist and update TeXShop. When the user has
updated TeXShop, the version in preferences is out of date and the
user gets a new choice. The choice option can also be started from
within Preferences and there it is also possible to add a different
location altogether.

Thinking more, it would be better to store the list of known
locations with availability in TeXShop Preferences and also offer the
choice as soon as one location bcomes available. Hence:
- Install TeX i-Package
- Start TeXShop, gwTeX is detected and used automatically
- Install TeX Live from image
- Start TeXShop and you'll get the choice because of a newly detected
option on your system.
Such a system would not require the versioning of the plist