[OS X TeX] installing from TeXLive

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Nov 17 09:39:56 CET 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 03:19, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> Oh, oh. This is bad. The i-installer did modify some of my system
> files?

It did and it is not bad. It enables or disables TeX (and man for TeX)
on the command line in a standard unix way and it only influences the
command line not any other application.

> What about all the discussions about the security of modifying the
> environment.plist?

For one, the TeX i-Package puts the new path entries at the end,
preventing the trojan exploit that is possible when they are inserted
at the beginning. Secondly, environment.plist influences all apps, not
just the command line. Hence, someone instructing you as a fix for some
program to set TEXINPUTS in environment.plist may cause havoc with
running TeXShop. Etc.

> Modifying a system-wide profile having a global import seems to me bad.

Basically, when you want to install something for all users, there is
no real alternative. But there is "global for all users" and "global
for all apps". The TeX i-Package was intended for the first.

> Anyway, I will revert as root those files to their original version.

Or uninstall the TeX i-Package, which will do that for you.

> Question: is there an uninstall option in the i-installer? How can a
> normal user without cli expertise revert the situation and switch
> correctly to TeXlive?

The TeX i-Package has a configuration option (expert install or
separate config run) to enable the CLI. On uninstall, the CLI-settings
(and do not forget the manpath settings) are removed.