[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Nov 17 05:06:58 CET 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 17:46, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 6:50 PM -0500 11/16/06, Alan Munn wrote:
>> One thing that has been bothering me in this whole discussion is
>> whether or not there are extras provided by Gerben via i-Installer
>> that are NOT part of the TeXLive distribution.  Specifically I'm
>> thinking of things like Ghostscript, Imagemagick, FontForge etc.  I
>> assume that these are also going to disappear, yet (like
>> Ghostscript) are important for a working TeX installation.  If this
>> is true, then TeXLive is not the panacea that it is being made out
>> to be in this discussion.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?  When I first started to use TeX I did
>> so using Fink because seemed to be the simplest way to install both
>> TeX and its related utilities.  I've now weaned myself off of Fink
>> and am happy with i-installer and the MikTeX package manager, but I
>> don't relish the thought of having to chase around for every extra
>> component and install it by hand.
>
> At 1:07 AM +0100 11/17/06, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>> The packages you mentioned can be installed independently, and I
>> think MacTex will either install them by default or offer their
>> installation as an option.
>>

> I understand that they can be installed separately, but that was
> exactly my point.  I would prefer not to have to scrounge around for
> those extra components, and i-Installer made that simple.  MacTeX,
> as I understand it, depends on Gerben's distribution and also
> install some other things like TeXShop and BibDesk with very little
> choice on the part of the user.   Am I misinformed about how MacTeX
> works?

You're correct.  People will have to rely on an alternate source for
up-to-date ghostscript/ImageMagick/etc, which means using a system
like fink or compiling your own from source and dealing with
dependency nightmares.  Alternately, someone could take over Gerben's
i-Package maintainership and roll those updates into MacTeX.

Adam