[OS X TeX] TeXshop

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 17 01:09:58 CET 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Raul Martinez wrote:

> All,
>
> After reading the whole thread about Gerben's discontinuation of
> support for TeXshop (I share everyone's dismay about Gerben's
> departure and thank him profusely for his efforts) and the
> migration to TeXLive, it remains unclear to me what happens to the
> TeXshop text editor. I find the editor to be very useful
> particularly the feature that  allows one to click on the pdf
> document and get sent to the appropriate text in the .tex file. Is
> the text editor also part of the TeXLive distribution? If not, what
> is the future, if any, of the text editor? Is there an alternative
> editor that the readers of this list can recommend?
>
> TIA
>
> Raul Martinez

Raul,

TeXShop is completely independent of the TeX distribution. I have
tested it with

	a) Gerben's old teTeX based distribution

	b) Gerben's new TeXLive based distribution

	c) Straight TeXLive (2005) from TUG

It works fine with all three. I am working right now on a mechanism
which would
determine the active TeX distribution so the user wouldn't need to
worry about
modifying preferences.

This remark applies equally to other TeX front ends, to LaTeXiT, to
the MacTeX
distribution, etc. After an initial couple of days of concern, I
think we can relax.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu