[OS X TeX] Re: End of i-Installer

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 13 19:04:52 CET 2006

Am 12.11.2006 um 02:05 schrieb Richard Koch:

> This afternoon I discovered that there is a very straightforward
> script to
> install the 2005 version of the distribution.

It's not only the (La)TeX packages: there are also binaries needed.
Particularly pdfTeX is still developing. The TeX Live CDs or DVDs
contain the binaries, too, but someone had to make them, presumingly
Gerben. Who will be providing them in the future? For intel and for
PPC based Macs.

Mpm, the MiKTeX Package Manager, carries in its source most
"utilities" it needs (libmiktex-md5, libmiktex-popt, libmiktex-zlib,
libmiktex-bz2, libmiktex-expat, libmiktex-mspack), so it's easy to
compile, and to install. This seems to be an easy means to update
particular (La)TeX packages. I do not have much experience with it
(microtype), but I hope it makes updating easier, not having to
download every time hundred MB large chunks.

And mpm also installs binary packages.

Could be a good way is to update the basics from TeX Live CDs or DVD
with this "very straightforward script" and then leave the remainder
to mpm ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield