[OS X TeX] Re: End of i-Installer

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun Nov 12 18:05:38 CET 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Thanks Dick for your efforts and the good news!
>
> I think most tex users, and certainly I, don't need upgrades
> throughout the year of binaries and latex packages - in fact
> upgrading and installing latex packages, if it should be necessary,
> is easy and foolproof and can be done by the individual user alone.
> If MacTeX would change whenever there is a new TeXLive version
> would be more than sufficient.

I completely agree.

> In the long run it might be even prudent not to tax the time and
> energy of the volunteers too much, lest they might feel exhausted
> and unable to offer their generous help anymore.

I agree here too.

> Bruno described such an event in a different  mail, though I think
> he has to blame himself in that particular example.

Bruno's message left me feeling even more unhappy about this recent
turn of events regarding Gerben's i-Installer. Bruno has been an
incredibly generous person on the list (and off) and it would be
tragedy for him to disappear because of this nightmare with Rowland
(and that is exactly what it was). After Rowland showed himself to be
so terribly difficult to deal with, Bruno and others should have
completely ignored him (he would have eventually gone away or we
could have created email filters). I think that Gerben learned
something regarding his installation of TeX from the extended
exchange, but it was certainly not worth the effort. Gerben's
installation had been working for years for thousands of people and
one person's needs should not have created so much angst and
disillusionment.

That's my 2 monetary units.

Regards,
   Gary